Thursday 19 November 2009

Dodgy knees!


Well the saga of my dodgy knees continues to rumble on......The good news is that the right knee - with the partial kneecap replacement - is making great progress and at 3 months post-op is just about where the consultant and physio would expect it to be at around 4 months (in accordance with the Steadman programme of rehab). However, the left knee, which looked to be worse on the MRI scans, is really struggling and not coping with the pressure at all.
So I'll be back under the surgeon's knife again on Tuesday so he can have a look at what's going on. Basically there are 3 things that could happen:-
1. He can clear out the debris, smooth off the back of the cap and maybe do a 'lateral release' where the cartilege is cut to allow the kneecap to move over...
2. All of the above, minus the lateral release, but if there is a hole in the kneecap that's over a certain size then I'll go back early in the new year to have a repair similar to the right knee.......or
3. All of the above, minus the lateral release, and if there is a hole under a certain size then he will perform a proceedure called microfracture - which is horrible and will mean being non-weight bearing and in a brace (again) for 6-8 weeks.

Oh the joy of it all.

I am sure there is much to be learnt from this period of my life - not least to encourage my kids to look after their knees - but stuff about pain (I have a high pain threshold and shouldn't have let it go this far before asking for help), recovery and, most importantly, patience.

And I pray God gives me grace and peace to not be a miserable old moo through it all!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment